Sunday, March 25, 2007

Masae (mah-si)

Written Jan 10, 2007
When I think of Masae, I always see a smile on her face!

Masae is a special lady that we were so privileged to have in our home. She is here from Japan to learn English…in the steps of her father. You see, many years ago when Mary was young, her family hosted a Japanese agriculture student. He learned English from the kids. It was such a great experience that he wanted it for his youngest daughter. He brought Masae over, reconnected with Mary and a few months later, a second generation American is hosting a second generation Japanese.

While at our place, she was studying to get her driving permit/license. At 20, she still does not have one in Japan as it is VERY expensive! If she gets one in America for longer than 6 months, when she returns to Japan, it is a very minimal fee! There were lots of laughs, drawings and hand motions to try to explain to her the consequences of drinking and driving with very limited English! As she was leaving, we told her that she can “drive” Landon’s cars with no license!





Our life is fuller having met Masae!


Edited: We were priviledged to be able to spend some time with Don and Mary at their home when at a funeral. Masae made the yummiest lunch ever of authenic yakisoba noodles. Thank you ! The next day, Landon wanted more. I guess I need to take some cooking lessons from Masae!

No comments: