Friday, September 5, 2008

The End of the First Day of First Grade

Here I posted about Landon's first day of first grade. This is a continuation of the day...

At my office, I set the timer so I would not be late. I get to the school and oh my, there are so many cars and where do I go? I was waiting at the wrong spot. Thankfully, Landon was still there, waiting in the pick-up line with Mr. May. There were lots of questions and "Didn't you know?" When I got a word in, the conversation went like this...

me: "Son, how was your first day of school?"

LJ: "Good. I have 3 recesses! Do you think I can pick out my own clothes for tomorrow?"

me: "Whhhyyyyy???"

LJ: "Please Mama? I just want to choose my own clothes."

me: "This really isn't something we need to make a decision about right now. What exactly were you thinking about wearing?"

LJ: "Umm, maybe red pants, and a blue shirt and white...like Spidey."

me: "Other than your clothes, how was your day?"

LJ: "Mama, Tomorrow I am ready for second grade. I already did first grade. So I want to go to second. I'm at that age...I could go to second grade. Sooooo, can I?"

me: "Weeellllllllll...(stalling for time to gather my wits to make an intelligent response to something I had not anticipated AT ALL!!!)...Why don't we give first grade a few more days, say the rest of the week before we make that kind of decision? Mr. May might have a few more things to teach you. I don't think he was able to teach you everything he knows in one day. What do you say?"

LJ: a very resigned "OK Mama. Can I pick out my clothes for tomorrow?"

me: "Yes. Let's go over to Kyndra's to see how her first day went. Let's see if she has 3 recesses."

LJ: "Woo Hoo!"

...and off we went. How am I going to stay a step ahead of him when he is "at that age" and thinks he is ready for second grade? This is only the first day of first grade!!!! Lord, grant me wisdom! This may be a very long year.


After hugs and a short discussion about recess, the kids asked if they could go in the chalk tree. This has been a past time favorite. Stacy posted about The Chalk Tree last year. The fascination and creativity has not faded. I am so glad Landon is not "at that age" where he no longer wants to chalk the tree.







Many happy hours have been spent in that tree. May there be many, many more!

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

GREAT tree photos - LOVE them ... and those 3 kids too :)

Anonymous said...

Good luck keeping up with this boy. Love the Chalk Tree.

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

oh Ronda, how are you ever going to stay ahead of that boy, how!?!?

Kristie said...

darn kids always in a rush to grow up!?!?

Anne said...

Tree looks great...I just couldn't watch them in it...I have that issue with falling. I'm afraid of it. For myself and for others as well.

Great first day conversation too.

Anne said...

Tree looks great...I just couldn't watch them in it...I have that issue with falling. I'm afraid of it. For myself and for others as well.

Great first day conversation too.

Michelle said...

So sweet! Zeke also has those cool OshKosh pants. :)