Wednesday, November 14, 2007

It all started Thursday morning...

...the signs of a sinus infection coming on.
Why would I be getting a sinus infection?
I had sinus surgery in April.
I can breathe.
Is that a headache invading my brain cavity?
I am getting adequate oxygen to my body.
Why do my teeth hurt?
I have been doing the dreaded sinus rinse for a couple of days.
Why am I so hot?
What? My lips are peeling?
Not a fever too.
What is going on?
Good thing I am going to the Dr. today about something else and I can ask.

I get sent home with a date to have my tonsils out, a spray and said to call when the nasal discharge turns yellow. He will prescribe a steroid that will stop it immediately. In the meantime, keep rinsing.

Highly recommended, even though I still gag, choke and sputter when using it.
That afternoon I left a message for the nurse. I never heard back. Office closed on Fridays, holiday on Monday. In to the weekend I went...sicker by the hour.

Our group was coming in late Friday night...I will wait to get groceries Friday afternoon...surely I will be feeling better. Not so. 2 stores and 3.5 hours later, Landon and I had the groceries...almost 2 of those hours were waiting in line.

As soon as the groceries were unloaded and put away, thanks to the line of kids working together, and a nasal steam treatment, I went to bed. Tomorrow has to be better, I kept thinking. Not so. I have not been this sick in months!

The steamer, my friend.
Life went on all weekend...meals made, sinuses rinsed, steam treatments, desserts baked, more rinsing and steaming, laughter, another meal, rinsing, steaming, sneaking off to bed as soon as dinner was served etc etc.
There is not a medicine in the world that brings more comfort than a hearty bowl of the best homemade chicken noodle soup! I never get tired of making or eating it! THE best medicine!

What a great group of kids we had to end the retreat season! They played with Landon when not in meetings, let Landon lay on them when watching movies, went on walks with him and made him one of them!
Thanks Ian.
We always get a "show" when the kids come. Whether it is singing from a Broadway show or a natural "freak" show. Andrew and his double joints...
Love these guys...just wished I would have felt better!

3 comments:

Stacy B said...

Everyone has got to try the sinus rinse! At least once. Glad you are feeling better, thanks to the rinse, humidifier, soup, and friends. Love ya!

Lindsay said...

SINUS rinse is truly a gift from God... even if it does feel horrible while doing it!

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

Never done a sinus rinse......BUT I did have my tonsils out two years ago! Not fun, but I have been soooo much healthier since!!! No more sore throats, no more strep!!!