Ever since Landon was a baby, he has had a problem with choking, gagging and throwing up very easily. Thinking this was just a trait passed down from his father, we didn't think too much about it...except it can make lots of laundry, happen at the most inopportune time, I feel badly for him...he has been such a good sport about it!
Then one day, a doctor looked down his throat and mentioned that his tonsils were larger than normal and we should get them taken out.
Enter Dr. Neal.
After a month of antibiotics to see if his tonsils would shrink, (they did not), sleep apnea was established, the appointment was made to remove them.
Having gone through a tonsillectomy myself 8 months earlier, I knew what he was about to go through.
The night before surgery, you wanted to play with your cousins. Knowing you would be down for a few days, I did not care that it was 10 pm and the game was hide and seek outside, in the dark! You had a super, great, fun time!
You had one last drink at 11:20 pm and snuggled with Mama before going to your bed. A couple hours later, I sensed you by my bed. When I asked what you were doing, you said that you were a little bit anxious about your tonsils. We went in your room and I held you for 2.5 hours as you tried to sleep on my lap in the rocking chair. We talked about each step of the surgery including what it would feel like going to sleep, waking up when it was all over, all the sorbet and popsicles you would eat, how much Mama loved you, etc.
We got you dressed in your sleep at 5:30 am to head on down to the surgery center. You slept all the way into town! Lightning McQueen blanket came along to comfort you while keeping you warm. He was on an adventure too! He has never been to a surgery center before!
The receptionist turned on cartoons for you and Lightning while Mama finished filling out the paperwork.
Who is that handsome boy all dressed up with scrubs??? You always like to make faces if there is a mirror to look into. You weren't quite sure about the hat...daddy and I had to wear one too! We matched as a family!
You were such a big boy laying there on the bed. I couldn't believe that was my baby!
Ahhhh, the warm blanket never felt to good! We won't tell Lightning McQueen...
James was the best nurse! He explained everything to you! Here he is putting the heart monitor nodes on your back and chest.
I was so very proud of you son!
Wait a minute...what is he doing? Blowing up a glove? Drawing a face?
What is going on?
Your new friend, Glovie...and he even looks like James!
Landon, you were very blessed to have James and Ron as your nurses at the surgery center. We could not have asked for anyone better. They talked to you as a person, made you laugh, answered all your questions and most of all, cared for you as if you were their son.
THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!
It is almost time to go to the operating room. Dan the anesthesiologist came to talk to you. He told you how he takes care of you during surgery, how you would need to take 10 deep breaths before going to sleep and answered your questions.
Dan carried you all snuggled in a warm blanket into the operating room,
just like you were his son.
And the waiting began for Daddy and I while you were in surgery. James came out to tell us that you took 3 deep breaths and you were out!
About 30 minutes later, Dr. Neal came to talk to us. The surgery was over! He told us that he gave you 10 times the airway that you had before! He did not realize how HUGE they were till he got them out! He said we could have made a meat sandwich out of them! We knew they were big because they were flat where they touched each other in your throat...just not that HUGE! Good bye tonsils!!!
Taking your first drink.
Sleep my baby angel.
The part you were concerned with...or should I say scared of was your tongue...
In all the preparation and telling you what this whole procedure would be like, I forgot to mention that your tongue would be numb. You were freaking out that you couldn't feel your tongue. James went to find a mirror, had you stick your tongue out so you could see that it was still there! Sorry Punkin, I forgot about the tongue.
As soon as you saw that your tongue was going to be ok, you went right back to sleep.
I love you son and it will be so much better when your throat is healed. I promise. I just did it. This is a kids surgery not an adult surgery. You will heal so much faster than Mama did!
Dr. Neal said your voice would change. Hmmm...wonder what it will sound like...
8 comments:
Amazing post Ronda. I bet you were teary eyed the entire time. Landon is a brave kiddo...I got mine out at 21 and after I healed my days 'sick' were cut so tremendously. I would go through it all again in a minute. Landon will be ready to rock and roll right into school next week I'm sure.
Wowzer! Brings back memories with Zeke getting his adnoids out... I kinda suspect that we will end up doing the tonsil route one day. Not excited.
He did a great job! Did that happen in P-town? I think I recognize 'Dan' from my c-sections. If so... he is AMAZING!
Blessings to you!
Well Brave Boy, you will have to sit with Kyndra and tell her all about it because she is about to follow your lead. You two sure know how to do things together! Great post, Ronda.
I love this... the pictures, the words... EVERYTHING!
Great job on documenting such an important piece of Landon's life!
Landon - you ARE one BRAVE, BRAVE boy!
Great storytelling. Love the pics, especially the tongue. What a trouper! He looked all recovered last night. Way to go.
WOW! What an emotional post. I love your words and pictures. What an amazing, brave boy!
Oh the memories of having my tonsils out at age 8. No fun, but looks like he had some great nurses!! Great post Rhonda - did his voice change??
What a big boy!! That can be a very scary thing!! Way to go Landon!!!
Post a Comment