Friday, April 4, 2008

A "Bump" in the road of cuisine

Landon has his share challenges when it comes to food.

No Dairy.
No Chocolate.

That in and of itself makes for a less carefree dining experience...3 times a day.
Landon has been quite a trooper and knows what he can and can't have.
Yesterday we found out that eggs are now added to his list.
This narrows down the choices even more!
Mind you, we are very grateful that he is NOT allergic to peanuts, wheat, rice, potatoes, beef, chicken, etc...can I say VERY grateful?

In celebration of only being eggs, I took him to Safeway and he could pick out what he wanted for dinner. We started in the produce section. We were looking at the cucumbers when we heard someone whistling. They kept whistling louder and louder until my name was called out. Why would someone be whistling at me? As I was standing there talking to "whistle lady", Landon asked if he could get a few more things.

This is what he chose -
2 artichokes
2 red peppers
1 cucumber
3 sweet potatoes
2 bags of spinach salad
3 carrots (that he was using as microphones, reins and guns...in the store)
1 bunch of celery (after he was told that he had to buy the whole bunch and not just one stalk)
Off to the meat section we went to get 3 "meats" (steaks).

If this is what he wants, he can go shopping every night! Plus it was all foods without dairy, chocolate and eggs!
At dinner, we were talking about egg allergies, what foods eggs are in, baking with egg replacement, (even if I have to go to Canada to get it) and that we would not be making him eat scrambled eggs in the morning! With a HUGE sigh of relief he said, "Thank you very much!" A huge sigh and a smile to go with it!

So here's to no more stomach cramps and vomiting in the middle of the night!!!

Lon and I give thanks almost daily that food allergies (and teeth) are all we have to deal with. Landon could have been born with downs syndrome, be autistic, have cerebral palsy, leukemia, cancer, a degenerative heart condition, blind, crippled, seizures etc, etc, etc. Not that we would love him any less if he had a combination of these conditions...

We just count our blessings with grateful hearts!

8 comments:

Stacy B said...

This will be an adjustment for everyone. I hope it makes a difference in how he is feeling.

So happy it's just the eggs of a chicken and not the whole chicken that he can't eat! hee hee

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

Poor kid! As if milk and choc weren't enough!
Jedd LOVED eggs but only cause he knows they give you gas!

Anonymous said...

thank goodness landon is not allergic to ketchup.

Lacey Lichi said...

Sorry about all of the allergies. But you are right, trivial in comparison with so many other things. On a side note- I LOVE THE NEW PICS of Landon! BEAUTIFUL!

Lindsay said...

your pictures of Landon are AMAZING! :)

and ... what an amazing attitude you have when it comes to dealing with all the ups and downs of life.

You inspire me!! :)

Becky said...

Good luck to ya! And I will pray that it remains to be only eggs, dairy and chocolate. You are a wonderful family!

Heather said...

I have a box of egg replacer in the cupboard you can have. No need to go to Canada, just talk to the queen of dealing with allergies, between mom and I we have every weird food replacer on the planet! see ya tomorrow

Melisa Jo said...

I think it's awesome how Landon handles his allergies. He still seems to find the positive, even when it is the most challenging. He is just sweetness throughout and therefore doesn't need chocolate! In my travels I will continue to look for substitutes and will now add eggs to the list.