Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Technology then and now

Growing up, we would watch movies.
8mm style.
Silent.
Black scratches/lines
Jumpy pictures.

Bringing back the memories!

The same projector still working 40 years later.


Light man helping projector man.


The "young" audience waiting with anticipation and sweats pulled up as high as you can.


Movie night always started out with "California Bound".


"Where is the sound? Why is it quiet?" asked the first time viewers.
"Well, back in the day..."


We gave dad and mom a digital frame for their anniversary.
I thought it quite interesting to see technology sitting side by side...spanning 40 years.


Lots can happen "behind the screen"!

The grand kids sure had a lot of laughs looking at all of us as little babies and kids, just like them!
I must not leave out the spouses! They got a brief inside look into our childhood. Maybe this helps explain some behaviors?? Maybe not!

8 comments:

Lindsay said...

What a great way to enjoy childhood memories!

I love to get out the slide projector and watch our life click from frame to frame when I'm with mom & dad & Kirsten!

Ian doesn't quite get our excitement, but Mason loves the movies :)

I know your parents will LOVE their new technology :)

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

uh! that makes me sooo want to digitize our childhood films! Scratchy, jumpiness and all!

Anonymous said...

That is soooo cool!

Have a wonderful day and I hope to see you very soon!!!

sueellieslife said...

So fun to see all the family fun. It looks like you all had a great time. There's nothing like family memories!!
Glad you're a part of my family!!

Anonymous said...

Lindsay, we will LEARN to love our new technology, only after much weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth on my part! It's not that I'm ungrateful for the gifts, it's just that...well, it was our 40th anniversary so you know approximately our ages. As long as we have one of our techy kids close, either by presence, phone or email we'll be OK. Louise

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting some of the pictures. You got some great shots. I haven't downloaded mine yet...... Your skills in the kitchen were also much appreciated last weekend!
Teresa

Melisa Jo said...

How fun it that. I don't remember
8mm as a kid but I do remember having slide shows projected on a sheet hanging on the wall. Good times. I think it's great that your Dad shared these moments with grandkids.

Kristie said...

This is so great!! I love looking back over the pictures with my boys when we are at my mom's! They get so excited..."Mom, you were a baby, too?!?!?"

Happy Birthday!! Looks like a fun, fun time at the coast!