Thursday, July 10, 2008

Volubilis

The site of these Roman Ruins were settled and began to prosper under the Mauretanian kings, from the 3rd century BC to AD 40.


An bilingual tour guide that tried to keep us all reined in to listen to him...
He had quite a time for sure!

The Basilica
Apart from the triumphal arch, this was the only buildings whose ruins were still impressive when excavations began.

The mosaics are very impressive!!!

The House of the Columns is arranged around a huge peristyle courtyard with a circular pool. Columns with twisted fluting and composite capitals front the grand reception room.

The Triumphal Arch overlooks plantations of cereals and olive trees. The fertile plain to the west has provided the area with grain and oil since antiquity.


Just a view I enjoyed!

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

I continue to be amazed by your beautiful pictures and amazing adventures!! :)

Lucky us that you have inernet access there :)

Stacy B said...

Oh Ronda! I am just sitting here crying. So happy for you being able to experience this amazing country, so sad because I miss you! Love you!