...they are way over rated!
So the day came for his school pictures. I was not worried at all...except what is that around your bottom lip? Why is it all red? Chapped? I have not ever seen that before! Son, what have you done? As far as I can tell, he gets so involved in his school work that the drool lets loose and before he knows it, he is sucking it up with his teeth.
The day is over and I ask what did he do today...something Stacy and I decided to do since they started at daycare. This way when they got to school, it is a part of natural conversation in the years to come. He said they had pictures taken...and Mama, they had to do it 4 times!!! Pretty significant if it sticks in his head of what to tell me about school that day! I do an internal groan. I want him to have a good experience with school pictures...not have everyone look at it and only point of the faults, not good enough, become self conscience, learn to hate pictures of himself, etc, etc.
We didn't think about the pictures again until the day they came home in his backpack. He was so excited to show me the packet. We opened it...all was silent as I waited for his response...he looked at me, back at the pictures and said, "Mama, where is the good pictures?" It about broke my heart! I explained to him that it is the same picture only different sizes. He thought on that for a few more minutes...I then asked if those pictures OK for him...he said, "Sure". I was not about to have him go do retakes if he was OK with those...they already had to take 4 shots the first time around...AND they have a DIGITAL camera and that was the best they could do??? Nope, we kept the originals and his very first school picture is displayed on the piano! It is a memory created at school...a rite of passage.

7 comments:
This is so cute! Definately a keeper!
I think it is adorable! School pictures are in such a different catagory than all our own wonderful pictures we capture. What is 'ok' to me in a school pic is WAY different than what I save and print from my own collection. The scary thing about retakes is...sometimes they are WORSE and then you don't have the original 'ok' version either. I still dread school picture day for me...and I'm just the teacher in the picture. Being in front of the camera is not so much a natural spot for me anymore...I'm always the one taking the pics.
oh Landon... that is the cutest picture!!
... and the narrative you've written Ronda - to explain each and every detail - make sure you print it out and tape it to the back of his picture... serioulsy... it will be something treasured always!!
I learn so much from you, friend. I think you made the right decision. It is the cutest picture ever. It shows his personality through and through.
I think it turned out cute! He's definitely looking older. Wish we could have been there for Thanksgiving.......also wish you could be here helping me in my garage with the wreaths!!! Miss you a lot!
Rite of passage for sure. :-)
He is adorable! I think school pics are a treasure, and something that captures another side of our children, that we neglect to snap (perfection maybe?!) I can see this shot on his pre-wedding slide show someday! Thanks for sharing it with all of us. Kisses to you Landon, you are a delight!
Post a Comment